Thursday, March 5, 2015

Blog Post #8: Favorite Projects (take 3)

I enjoyed the presentations this quarter due to the interesting topic of space. Everyone had a different project, but they all tied back to the main theme. One of my favorite projects was the one about Uranus...I mean come on, how can you not like that project! The way they handled the name at the beginning by dedicating a slide for the audience to get out all their laughter was perfect! The jokes were funny, and you were able to address the humor of the name, while also learning about the unique planet. Uranus is so cool...*stifles laughter* because it is the only planet tilted completely on its side, and most people do not even realize that it has rings. I also think it is interesting that sounds can be heard from vibrations within the rings.

Another project I enjoyed was the presentation on the asteroid belt. We had briefly gone over where the belt is located in class, but we did not go into too much detail about it. So it was cool to learn how it formed, what it encompassed, and a interesting theory involving its existence. The belt lies between the planets Mars and Jupiter, which keep the asteroid belt the way it is with their gravitational pulls. The asteroid belt includes asteroids, dwarf planets, and many irregularly shaped bodies. An interesting theory about the formation of the asteroid belt states that if it were not for the gravitational pulls of the two planets, especially Jupiter, a tenth planet may have formed in between Mars and Jupiter. Now, some of the asteroids are said to have evidence of water and ice, so if another planet had formed, I wonder if it would have been available for life...

Finally, another project I enjoyed was the one on rovers. Wall-E is a rover!!! So rovers are awesome already, and it was fun to learn about what they looked like and why, as well as, the different ones that existed with their stories. They are so cute and tiny, yet collect such significant data that we rely on for further developments in space. Currently there are two on Mars, one which has been there for more than eleven years! Rovers are legit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment